Buddha Purnima 2018, the Vesak day falls during Vaishakha month on a full moon day and is celebrated in remembrance of Lord Gautama Buddha. Lord Buddha is the founder of Buddhism. Buddha Purnima is known in various names in different parts of the Places. It is also known as Buddha Purnima, Buddha Jayanthi, Vesak day and Saga Dawa.
Buddha Purnima is celebrated for three main reasons in the Buddhism. Read further to know more about Vesak day or Buddha Purnima in 2018 and its Significance.
Buddha Purnima 2018, The Vesak Day
Buddha Purnima 2018 or Vesak day falls on April 30th, Monday
- Purnima Tithi Begins = 06:37 on 29/April/2018
- Purnima Tithi Ends = 06:27 on 30/April/2018
Buddha Purnima or Vesak Day is celebrated for three main reasons in the Buddhism.
- Buddha Jayanti – signifies Buddha’s birth.
- Buddha Enlightenment- attainment of supreme wisdom
- Buddha’s Death – attainment of Nirvana.
Hence this day is a trice blessed day.
Birth of Lord Buddha
This day is 2580th Birth Anniversary of Lord Gautama Buddha. On a full-Moon night in 623 BC in the Vaishaka month, Buddha was born to King Kapilavastu and Mayadevi. He was named as Siddharth (one who attains all goals) Gautam. Being the only child, he was given all the luxuries and led a much pampered childhood. He didn’t know anything beyond his palace gates. The reason behind this was, at time of his birth, it was predicted that he will turn out to be a great sage. Buddha will enlighten the world with his teachings. Thus, he was not allowed to witness any slaughters or negatives. Siddhartha Gautam was married early to Yashodhara and was blessed with a son.
Buddha Attains Enlightenment
At his age of 29, some events took place when Gautama Buddha stepped out of his palace in search of truth. He travelled to different places and reached Bodhgaya. Buddha followed the path of self-denial, discipline and path of self-indulgence. Thus, Buddha attained enlightenment (supreme wisdom) under the Bodhi tree at Bodhgaya on Vaishaka /Vesak on the day of Purnima (full moon) in 588 BC. These happenings made him realize the cycle of birth and death.
Buddha Attains Nirvana
Another important event associated with the celebration of Buddha Jayanti is that Gautam Buddha attained Nirvana or Moksha on this day and left the world. On this day Gautama Buddha got freed from all his bindings, a state of bliss was achieved, all karmic debts were settled and there was no longer the need of birth and death cycle. His attainment of Nirvana i.e. the complete extinction of his self was at the age of 80.
According to the Buddhism, sorrow and desire are the main cause of all the evil and suffering of this world. Lord Buddha promoted the Eightfold Path consisting of precepts like right conduct, right motive, right speech, right effort, right resolve, right livelihood, right attention and right meditation to gain mastery over suffering. It is only after following this path one can reach the ultimate aim of Nirvana. Nirvana is the transcendental state of complete liberation.
According to the Buddhism, sorrow and desire are the main cause of all the evil and suffering of this world. Lord Buddha promoted the teachings of four noble truths, the eightfold path and the five principles. It is only after following this path one can reach the ultimate aim of Nirvana. Nirvana is the transcendental state of complete liberation.
Four noble truths
- Human life is suffering,
- Human desires are the core reasons for sufferings
- An end to human desires will end human sufferings
- An end to the desire can be done by following the ‘Eightfold Noble Path’ of Buddhism.
The Eightfold paths
- The right view of life.
- The right view of intention.
- The right view of speech.
- The right view of action.
- The right view of livelihood.
- The right view of effort.
- The right view of frame of mind.
- The right view of concentration.
The five principles ‘Panchsheel’
- Not To Take Life
- Not To Steal
- Not To Lie
- Not To Take Alcohol
- Not To Commit Adultery
Buddha Purnima 2018 Celebration
Buddha Purnima 2018 will be celebrated all over in India. In Bodh Gaya, the place where Gautama Buddha is said to have attained Enlightenment, pilgrims from all around the world come on this occasion. Prayers and discourses are held and processions are taken out that day. Group meditation is done and people worshiping the statue of Buddha fill in the environment with complete devotion and dedication. On Buddha Purnima day, devotees worship the idols of Lord Buddha.
- The followers of Buddhism visit Buddha temples and memorial.
- The Bodhi tree is also worshiped on the Vesak day. Lamps are lit around the tree and the roots of the tree are offered water. This signifies the importance of nature.
- On this Buddha Purnima, Devotees dress up in white clothes signifying purity of mind and thought and offer flowers, sweets, candles to Lord Buddha.
- On the Vesak day or Buddha Purnima, Lord Buddha’s teachings, scriptures, and sermons are taught to people.
- Special donations of food and clothes are provided to the needy on the day of Buddha Purnima.
- As per Buddha’s teachings, no birds should be trapped in cages. These birds are laid free from the cages on this day.
- On the day of Buddha Purnima devotees should avoid consuming non vegetarian food, alcohol and smoking.
So, do not forget to follow the rituals on this Buddha Purnima in 2018. This way you can also find the way to overcome your bad times.
The celebrations of Buddha Jayanti are not confined to India, but are seen across the globe. Buddha Purnima is celebrated in Japan, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
Nepal is considered to be the home and birthplace of Lord Buddha. The streets of Nepal witness the celebration of the birth of Lord Buddha. The temples are decorated in elaboration. Specially, Swayambhu Temple’s (the monkey temple) main entrance is opened for the devotees to offer their prayers and worship Lord Buddha on this Vesak day. Various pilgrims visiting the temple, offer their donations in terms of money, food, and clothes to the needy and homeless.
This Vesak day, the devotees from all around will celebrate Buddha Jayanti with full zeal and passion. Because of his teachings, practices and eight fold path, Gautama Buddha is equated to God. Thus, Buddha Purnima is a day to remember, follow, and preach the teachings of Lord Buddha. So this Buddha Purnima 2018, don’t look for happiness and bliss around, as it is right inside you.
Get to know more on Buddha’s Teachings, to bring an aesthetic celebration of the occasion.
Wishing you all a divine salvation on this Buddha Purnima – Vesak Day 2018