What is Akshaya Tritiya?
Akshaya Tritiya 2018 is a highly auspicious day for Hindus, it also known as Akha Teej in Jain communities. Akshaya means the most eternal, continuous and imperishable, it never diminishes. It is believed that the Good deeds done on this day are blessed forever. Hindus believe in the theory of Mahurats or Auspicious timings in every step in life, like starting new venture, making an important purchase, weddings or other occasion’s.
But on the Akshaya Tritiya day they need not check on the timing as each and every moment of this day is favorable and the fruits that are borne on this day, keeps on multiplying.
The day is ruled by the Preserver Lord Vishnu, and so that any venture; be it a business or any personal quest for self-improvement, gets fulfilled positively. Lord Vishnu sees the intention and preserves what has been started in the long run.
Here we are bringing to you everything you would like to know about the upcoming Akshaya Tritiya 2018, so that you can prepare yourself to celebrate this Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi with meaningful activities that would fetch everlasting fruitful results.
Akshaya Tritiya 2018 Date and Timing
As per the Hindu lunar calendar, Akshaya Tritiya falls on the Third Tithi (lunar day) of the bright half (Shukla paksha) of Vaishakh month (April-May). It is celebrated once in a year when both Sun, the lord of the planets which is in the Aries and Moon, the lord of creativity (sense) which is in Taurus are both in extreme exhilaration.
The planetary position of Sun, Moon and Jupiter all three unanimously come under ‘Mrigashira Nakshatra’. Such a phenomenon happens only once a year and is astrologically considered the perfect time to start any meaningful endeavor.
If the Tritiya day falls on a Wednesday or Friday when moon is in Rohini or 4th constellation, the day becomes more especially sacred.
Akshaya Tritiya in 2018 will be celebrated on the day Wednesday, April 18th
- Tritiya Tithi Begins = 03:45 on 18/April/2018
- Tritiya Tithi Ends = 01:25 on 19/April/2018
- Akshaya Tritiya Puja Muhurat = 06:07 to 12:26
- Puja Duration: 6 Hour, 18 Minutes
We hope that you will now be able to perform the rituals and proceedings on this Akshaya Tritiya with more devotion and happiness.
Importance of Akshaya Tritiya 2018
Here are few legends associated with Akshaya Tritiya
- It is mentioned in our Puranas that Akshaya Tritiya is considered the first day of Treta Yuga, second of the other four yugas (Satya, Dwapura and Kali)
- The great poet Veda Vyas and Lord Ganesha started writing Mahabharata on this Akshaya Tritiya day, which is like an Akshaya patram for stories of the various former times kings and spiritual knowledge.
- The birth of Lord Vishnu’s incarnations, Lord Parashurama, the 6th incarnation of Lord Vishnu was born on this day, hence the day is highly auspicious,
- For Jains, Akha Teej day observes the ending of one year fast by Tirthankara Rishabha by consuming sugarcane juice.
- This is also believed to be the day when Pandavas discovered weapons under the earth which made them victorious against the Kauravas.
- When the Pandavas were in exile, On this day Lord Krishna presented Yudhishthira ‘Akshaya Patra’, a bowl which acted as a serving bowl of food for the entire kingdom, Due to this reason, people believe that anything that is acquired on this day will be replenished
- It was on this day, Kubera received his wealth and the position as custodian of wealth and property, along with Goddess Lakshmi, by praying to Lord Shiva
- One of the most important legend associated with Akshaya Tritiya is related to Lord Krishna and his childhood Brahmin friend Sudama. Sudama visited Lord Krishna in Dwarka with nothing to offer he takes with him handful of beaten rice (poha) on this day with clean heart and good intention and in return Sudama, when returned back home saw that his hut was transformed into a palace and he was blessed with Akshaya wealth. This happened because of the boon by Lord Krishna. Since then, the day of Akshaya Tritiya is associated with charity, material gains and wealth.
Now, as you know the reasons to celebrate Akshay Tritiya, let’s also know how to celebrate so that you can continuously increase your wealth and blessings on the coming Akshaya Tritiya 2018
Akshaya Tritiya Puja Vidhi
Yoga Asanas, Pranayama, Mantra Chanting and Meditation
Start your day early in the morning, take bath as soon as you wake up and start your day fresh with few rounds of exercises (Surya Namaskar’s , other Yoga Asana’s) Pranayama, reciting of your favourite deity’s mantras and then Meditation.
Starting your day with Spiritual practice on Akshaya Tritiya 2018, results in free enhanced Prana Energy flowing throughout the body and mind. This helps keeping the body and mind in positive balanced state throughout the day and functioning harmoniously assuring the health and vitality of the body and mind.
This will in-turn help being with positive thoughts, doing positive action and with positive emotions on this auspicious day which results in blessings that gets multiplied.
Akshay Tritiya Vrat (Fasting)
As far as possible, ensure to eat satvick organic food on this day, this will again help to keep you completely in positive mind throughout the day. Think Positive, do good deeds make good decisions on this Akshaya Tritiya 2018
Charity – Offerings
“The hand that gives is the hand that gathers” is an eternal truth. One of the important secrets to manifesting material success is first to give with a pure heart. Those who have already made it really big, clearly understand this power of giving with a clean heart.
Feeding a hungry human being and helping the poor with required items are keys to receive material and spiritual blessings. Giving on this day, therefore, produces great returns (even if you do not expect anything in return).
Buying of Gold, Jewellery items is certainly not mentioned in the Vedic scripts. These are all the trick and tactics made by the vested interests to hard-sell their product to the innocent in the name of religious faith.
On this Akshaya Tritiya 2018, try to donate all or any of these items
- Water (Jala Daan) – One can offer water to Brahmins with beetle nut and with dakshina.
- Bed or mattress (Shayan Daan) – One can donate beds to the needy or underprivileged
- Clothes (Vastra Daan) to the needy – One may donate clothes to the needy and you will get over diseases and be blessed with a long life
- Donations of Kumkum (red color powder), Chandan (sandalwood), Betel leaves, Nariyal (coconut) and buttermilk result in good education, family and wellness.
- Donation of water in copper or silver vessel with saffron, camphor, Tulsi leaves and betel nut is considered auspicious for marriages and children. This is also known as Uda Kumbh Daan.
- Also donation of umbrellas and chapels (sandals) for poor children are recommended by some.
Do care for the poor and needy, the result you will get in multiple ways of happiness. Akshaya, the never-ending bowel may be with you for ever.
New beginnings-New Ventures
We know that every moment in Akshaya Tritiya day is very auspicious and the day is ruled by the Preserver Lord Vishnu. Any new ventures be it a business or any personal quest for self-improvement, gets fulfilled positively.
Go ahead and execute any new beginnings, new ventures, new purchases planned on this day, work hard on your new ventures and you can see the everlasting fruitful results.
Doing Pooja’s and Mantra Chanting
On this Akshay Tritiya 2018, worship Goddess Lakshmi and Vishnu, Lord Ganesh and Goddess Durga so that you may want to be guided in a golden beginning with full of fortune, wealth and good luck.
You can visit the temples of Lakshmi-Narayan and Lord Krishna and offer donations for everlasting prosperity, perform Sathya Narayana Pooja at home or sit at home and chant mantra’s like Vishnu Saharsanama or Lalitha Saharsanama.
Doing Pooja and chanting mantra’s will definitely produce certain vibrations in our body, mind and our surroundings, this enhances the Prana Energy within us and a positive result or feeling occurs the results that you are focusing upon.
However, it is said that that various people see various results as per the karma they carry. Still the chants have the ability to speed up good results, produce lots of good karma and definitely benefit the devotee towards their desired goals.
It is therefore, said in Hindu scriptures, do action and leave the results upon God. Positive and confident mind-set with great love and devotion will always produce the best results.
Performing all the above mentioned activities on the Akshaya Tritiya day can result in reducing the intensity of all Karma’s that is impacting the existing life, this will be a gift from the Lord to realize one’s own self, and our relationship with the creator.
Akshaya Tritiya will arrive each year, and grant us prosperity & well-being. This Akshaya in 2018 stay awake to welcome the everlasting, non-diminishing prosperity right at your doorstep.
Wishing you all a Happy Akshaya Tritiya 2018!