Believed to be one of the most powerful and oldest mantras in the Vedas, the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra belongs to the Rig Veda and is meant to address the Rudra form of Lord Shiva. Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap is one of the mantras practiced by devotees to please Lord Shiva. Hindus believe that Shiva is easy to please and grants blessings and boons to all his devotees worshipping him with dedication and sincerity.
It is said that the mantra is beneficial for the physical, mental and emotional health of the worshippers. It is even believed that this mantra holds the power to bring the dead one back.
The Mahamrityunjay Mantra or the Tryambakam Mantra is recited to please and worship Lord Shiva, one of the prominent deities of Hinduism. Shiva is regarded to be limitless, formless, transcendent and unchanging and he is the soul of the universe. He is the supreme power which makes, transforms and protects the universe.
The Mantra & Meaning
The mantra, in Sanskrit, reads as:
ॐ त्रियम्बकं यजामहे, सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनं
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान् मृत्योर्मोक्षिय मामृतात्
It is pronounced in English as:
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urva Rukmiva Bandhanan Mrtyor Muksiya Ma Mratat OmII
We pray to Lord Shiva whose eyes are the Moon, the Sun, and Fire. He is the one who protects us from fear, poverty, and disease and blesses us with longevity, prosperity and good health.
Chanting The Mantra
Being such a powerful mantra, Maha Mrityunjaya has become a part of daily routine for many meditators. Though there are no limitations to who can learn and practice this mantra, it is necessary that the practitioner approaches it with respect and faith.
The first thing to take care of is to learn to pronounce the mantra correctly. Though it appears to belong, it contains only 32 syllables and can be easily memorized. One should start repeating the mantra slowly while understanding the meaning of the words to remember it.
The best times to chant the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is early morning, especially 4:00 am. If it is not possible to recite the mantra in the morning, one should form a habit of chanting it 9 times before sleeping, going out of the home, taking medicines. One can recite the mantra at least three times before starting to drive. Lord Shiva would thereby keep the practitioner and his journey safe. It is recommended to chant the mantra 108 times every day to be blessed with a healthy and prosperous life. One can divide the number throughout the day for ease.
It is advisable to use a mala to keep track of the mantra practice. Rudraksha mala represents Lord Shiva and it is the best way to recite the mantra. A fulfilling practice suggests completing 8000 repetitions of the mantra in a course of 40 days. One can make a habit of chanting one mala in the morning and one in the evening to fulfill this.
Applying Chandan, kumkum or bhasma before reciting the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra brings more effective results. One can even place an idol of Shiva or Shivlinga when chanting the mantra so as to heighten the vibration and energy of the chant.
Benefits of the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra
According to Hindu Vedas and Shashtras, the benefits of chanting Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra are many. Let us see some of the important benefits reaped from the regular repetition of this powerful mantra for several weeks.
- Eliminates fear. The mantra is highly effective at removing fears of the practitioner and saves him from obstacles, difficulties, accidents, and challenges.
- Brings Prosperity. The devotee practicing this mantra regularly with sincerity and devotion gets bestowed with prosperity, peace, comfort, and happiness.
- Solves Problems. Reciting the mantra regularly solves all the confusions and problems in one’s life and gives the practitioner clarity of thought and the power to take right decisions.
- Provides Protection. One who chants the mantra with faith gets a protective shield created around him that guards him in all directions.
- Cures Ailments. A devotee is advised to chant the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra on daily basis to get rid of diseases and ailments.
- Cures Kundali Dosha. If you have any horoscope related problem like Dasha, Maas, Antar Dasha and gochara, you can find relief with repetition of this mantra. People overcome the harmful effects of planets with Shiva’s blessings.
- Brings Success. The one who wishes to achieve success in worldly endeavors or who desires to have children can chant this mantra for effective results.
- Prevents Untimely Death. The mantra is effective at preventing deaths due to unnatural causes. One should chant the mantra regularly to keep untimely death away.
- Keeps Family in Harmony. When there are family problems or disputes, you can resort to this powerful mantra to get immediate solutions. Recitation of this mantra is the key to bring peace and harmony to the family.
- Avoids Financial Losses. This mantra is also useful in overcoming monetary problems and crisis and to avoid business losses.
- Benefits Spiritually. This mantra is also called the Moksha mantra as it is the ultimate mantra for attaining spiritual benefits. This mantra can liberate the practitioners from the cycles of birth and death.
Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is a great blessing. If you repeat it on regular basis with concentration and devotion, you will experience blessings and miracles after few weeks. Your inner being gets transformed and you feel like an entirely new person.
The mantra brings you good fortune and great health and saves you from any difficulty. You are protected wherever you go. The greater your faith and devotion to God, the more powerful the mantra becomes.