Lets first understand What is Yoga Nidra and the Steps involved in doing Yoga Nidra before understanding the Yoga Nidra Benefits
In simple language yoga nidra can be defined as a type of meditation in which one has to close the eyes and lie in shavasana/corpse posture. If defined more accurately it is the somniferous state between alertness and sleep. In this state your mind is relaxed as if in sleep but you are completely alert/aware of your body. This technique when practiced regularly has shown miraculous results.
Yoga Nidra Script
Yoga Nidra is practiced /preached by different yogis/doctors with mild variations. The basic concept remains the same but the steps involved slightly varies. Here I present the most generic form. You can also refer to the Yoga Nidra Script for the detailed steps
Things to note before Yoga Nidra
- Don’t be in a hurry. Set aside enough time for the practise.
- Choose a serene place for doing the kriya.
- Do not do yoga nidra immediately after your food or you might fall asleep.
- Keep yourself warm and comfortable.
- Don’t try to curb your thoughts. Let them flow.
Steps for yoga Nidra
- Preparation: Lie in corpse posture/shavasana and close your eyes. Be relaxed. Get aware of the sounds around you and accept them.
- Reflect on your purpose for your practice: Convey to mind your hearts deepest desire, It may be to relax and rest, or to question into a particular sensation, emotion, or belief. Whatever your intention, welcome and affirm it with your entire body and mind.
- Rotation of consciousness: Without physically moving become aware of different parts of your body. Get conscious of your right leg, left leg, genital area, abdomen, chest, right hand, left hand, throat, face, head and top of your head.
- Breadth Awareness: Be aware of the pattern of your breadth. Observe them.
- Sensations of body: Observe the sensations in your body. Relax yourself. Let the thoughts flow.
- Continue to be aware of the whole body and the cosmos surrounding it, feeling the quietness and harmony.
- Reaffirm your initial intention three times.
- Mentally prepare to return to normal consciousness.
- Turn to your right: This enables breathing through your left nostril and supplies more oxygen to the right lobe of your brain. This enables more logical thinking.
- End the practice: Slowly get up. Get aware of your surroundings. Slowly open your eyes.
Benefits of Yoga Nidra
Yoga Nidra has enhancing, healing and hindering powers. It supports or enhances concentration, creativity etc.., heals psychological disorders and diseases and hinders the growth of stress and tension. Let’s analyse the Yoga Nidra Benefits in detail:
- Relieves Tension: The current generation is under immense stress and tension. It may be physical, emotional or mental. Yoga Nidra releases tension from your body, calms your mind and makes you peaceful.
- Quick Learning: Yoga Nidra has proved to enhance the concentration and focus of mind. This in turn improves the memory and grasping power.
- Enhances creativity: With peaceful and clear mind your creativity is improved manifold.
- Treat psychological disorders: Many psychological disorders arise from mental tension and stress. Yoga Nidra relaxes the mind and clears the conscious. This in turn has proved to be beneficial for the treatment of many psychological disorders like insomnia.
- Relieves Pressure: Suppressed pressure and tension manifests to physical ailments like high BP, ulcers, digestive disorders, cardiac issues etc… Such diseases are called psychosomatic diseases and can be controlled by Yoga Nidra.
- Cancer Treatment: Yoga Nidra is now being experimented as part of cancer treatment and has been proved to be beneficial. It helps in releasing the suppressed thoughts from conscious and unconscious mind, makes the patient mentally stronger and optimistic and improves the willpower.
The Science of Yoga Nidra
Yoga Nidra a unique combination of science and spirit, combining alert awareness and deepest relaxation. It takes your brain to the alpha state and ultimately to the even deeper theta wave state. Here, without any effort or stress, you are able to hit into your own source of intuition, creativeness, health and richness. Scientifically the technique Yoga Nidra Benefits in Preventing the stress, Promoting the inherent creativity and Curing psychological disorders.
We all know that the stress is the biggest problem of modern life. We always carry tensions both within the physical body and as well on deeper levels in the subtle bodies without even being aware off. While physical body tension can be eased by physical exercise or massage, subtle body tensions are difficult to identify and harder to release. But Yoga Nidra helps to go below surface tensions to release and transform stress at the deeper level.
Normal waking brain activity produces the faster, uneven beta waves and also engages the sympathetic nervous system which reacts to stimulus and the secretion of adrenaline. Chronic engagement of this state forces the right brain and parasympathetic nervous system to progressively become more inactive.Yoga Nidra lets you to drop into a sleep-like state with relaxed brainwave activity. Slow alpha waves, and even slower theta waves, produce deep relaxation and are the entry points to the subconscious. In this state, you can make a conscious crossover from the logical left brain to the intuitive right brain, connected to the field of conscious pranic intelligence, where purpose or intention is carried out spontaneously and effortlessly.
One main purpose of Yoga Nidra is to initiate the integrative process that balances the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, and the left and right brain. Establishing awareness in the Third Eye sets off the powerful, integrative forces of homeostasis; the natural balance of polarity. With the removal of all surface and subtle tensions and entry into deeply integrated space, you simultaneously enter the state of communion with the divine, glowing, joyful, omnipresent presence.